I was one of those kids who didn’t know how to answer the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Originally I wanted to be a baker or astronaut! It took some time for me to really narrow it down – but I’m glad it did. Otherwise, I might not be where I am today – helping countless children and adults achieve bright healthy smiles.
I decided to pursue dentistry while studying biomedical engineering and biomechanics in college. I was intrigued as I learned about how the human body works and how different equipment, devices, and medicines can help people.
It sparked something in me … and I ultimately decided I wanted to become an orthodontist to straighten smiles and make a difference in the lives of my patients.
I earned my…
- Doctorate from the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
- Pediatric Specialty from the Ohio State University and Columbus Children's Hospital
- Certificate in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from the University of Missouri in Kansas City.
Going the extra mile… There aren’t many pediatric dentists in the United States who are also certified orthodontists. This allows me to create a pleasurable experience for kids – one they don’t have to be scared about – as I help guide their smiles as they develop into adulthood.
Being involved in the earliest stages of your child’s dental health is something I take very seriously. It’s an important time in their lives.
I’m an active member of six dental organizations… I’m keen to learn and connect with other professionals in the industry!
When I’m not helping kids with their smiles, I enjoy …
- Painting! Watercolor or acrylics are my favorite media.
- Dogs – If they’re fluffy and cute, they’re for me.
- Magic shows. I love the mysterious and unknown!
I hope you’ve found what you enjoy and are passionate about! Let me know on your next visit. I love to find out more about my patients and their families.
By Dr. Suzanne Bird